The below process should be followed when migrating your website from cPanel to Direct Admin
Please navigate to http://media.redcactus.co.za/reseller/Linux-DA-Onboard.pdf for a step-by-step guide on migrating your site files to a VPS (Virtual Private Server).
Sign-up for your new hosting profile;
– Once you have decided on a hosting plan, click on SIGN UP
– You will be redirected to the shopping cart, continue by selecting the option “I will use my existing domain and update my nameservers”
– Follow the steps and proceed to checkout
Download your current website files and database(s) using FileZilla and phpMyAdmin respectively.
– Create an FTP account in cPanel (if you haven’t already).
– Setup this account in FileZilla using the server IP as the hostname, together with the username and password
– Once connected to the file manager, navigate to the PUBLIC_HTML folder and select all the files in that directory
– Copy the files across to your local drive
The same applies to the database
– Access phpMyAdmin via cPanel
– Expand the database and then select EXPORT
– The database will be stored on your local drive under DOWNLOADS
Emails can be copied to the new hosting space by following this tutorial: /kb-article/transfer-imap-email
Transfer website and database files to your new hosting space. Once you have accessed your new Direct Admin hosting account;
– Create a new FTP account
– Replace the existing account settings for your domain in FileZilla with the newly created FTP accounts settings
– Open the directory on your local drive where you downloaded the site files previously
– Select all the files and copy them to the PUBLIC_HTML folder on the Direct Admin file manager
You should now also restore the database, previously downloaded
– Create a new MySQL database in Direct Admin
– Copy and paste the username and password in a notepad as you will need this shortly
– In Direct Admin, select the database and navigate to UPLOAD BACKUP
– Insert the database you downloaded previously and enter the username and password for the new database (Custom username and password)
– You are now required to update the WP-CONFIG.PHP file with the details of the new database, database user and password
Confirm that all e-Mails are reflecting in your inbox
Point your domain to Red Cactus by updating the DNS
– Request that your IT technician update the DNS of your domain and change the A / WWW records to that of your specific panel
– IP for Linux hosting on Direct Admin
– IP for Windows hosting on Plesk
Please note that should you wish for the Emails to also relay through our servers, the NAME SERVERS should be changed to the below instead:
– Name servers for Direct Admin
– Name servers for Plesk
Alternatively, the MX RECORDS may be updated, should you wish to keep the name servers as is with your current provider;
– MX records for Direct Admin
da01.netmask.host, priority 
– MX records for Plesk
plesk01.netmask.host, priority 
Initiate domain transfer via the WHMCS Client Area (http://p.netmask.host/clientarea.php).
– A ticket request for the domain transfer, will be sent to the correct authority, after – if applicable – the website/database and e-Mails have been setup.
– The registrant (owner) of the domain will receive the transfer request which they should accept if they would like to continue with the transfer.
– Domains will then transfer to our hosting environment, co.za’s typically take about 24 hours but .com type domains up to 7 days.
– We can time this transfer if you prefer, please just let us know what works best for you, if you are not sure, we recommend doing this on a Friday if you have many e-Mail addresses linked to your account.
Please confirm e-Mail account settings and webmail URL by navigating to our mail settings tool.
– Enter your e-Mail address or domain name in the blank address bar and hit “GO“.
– Once rendered you will be provided with your e-Mail account settings and webmail URL (which you will require when accessing your mailbox online).
Kindly familiarize yourself with the following:
- Domain(s) should only be transferred once the Email accounts have been set up, database(s) restored and website files uploaded.
- Please ensure your domain is UNLOCKED and status set to OK.
- Kindly ensure that the REGISTRANT e-Mail is updated in order to receive the transfer request.
- .com/.net/.org domains usually take up to 7 days to transfer, while additional validation is required.
- Please obtain the relevant AUTH CODE (EPP code) from your existing host, should it be required to transfer your domain.
- Please visit our Knowledge Base for any web-hosting and Email support related assistance
- Alternatively you can contact support and we will give you a nudge in the right direction should your query relate to any 3rd party application(s) causing an issue on your computer and/or mobile device.
- During a domain’s grace period, i.e. first 60 days after registration, it cannot be transferred away, although you can update the name servers to reflect the new hosting environment.